[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1433

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1433
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:33:20 +1000
At 01:25 2/10/00 , Vaughan wrote:

>The Leica lens probably has a lot of blades because it's already quite
>big because it did not use a telephoto design (Tessar?, Planar? I dunno)
>and price is no concern anyway.

and John A. Lind replied:

> Did you mean that the Leitz design was similar to one of the Carl Zeiss
> ones?  Many other lens makers (some of them very good ones) copied the
> basics of Carl Zeiss designs as patents ran out on them; the Tessar in
> particular.

Yes, I meant the optical design in general rather than the brand names.
BTW "telephoto" is a trademark of Agineaux (SP?) but it has fallen into
general useage.

I have never before heard of the term "bokeh" sorry about the spelling.
Where does it originate?

As far as number of blades producing the smoothest bokeh (or whatever)
surely a single blade -- a piece of metal with a nice perfect round hole
in it, like a waterhouse stop -- would be the best, save for its lack of
adjustment of course.

I once heard about an enterprising photographer that did a series of
images for BP. They used a shaped "stop" in the lens so all out-of-focus
highlights in the images were shaped like the BP shield!

Rodenstock's Imagon large format lens has manually fitted stops that
look something like pepper-pots, to control light and the degree of soft
focus effect (spherical abberation from the edges of the image circle).

Vaughan