[OM] lurker emerges w/ questions

Subject: [OM] lurker emerges w/ questions
From: Dylan <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:18:25 +1100
Cc: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
> Disclaimer: I am an amateur and some of these questions may seem obvious, but
> having read
> this list off and on for a while you guys (and grrls!) seem to be the best to
> ask.
>
> So here goes:
> Everybody raves about the 80mm b/c of it's 1:1 ratio, etc., but what is the
> verdict on
> the 135mm Macro?

Someone else will have to answer this...

> For that matter, how is magnification measured?  I have the 50mm Macro and
> get what seems
> to be lifesize on a 4X6 print.  Obviously, prints are not the measuring stick
> for
> magnification, but that is how I think when I imagine the finished product.

Magnification is measured on the negative, IOW 1:1 implies that the
image on the film is the same size as IRL.

> Here is a question for the repairmen/women:  I have an OM-2 and the flash
> does not work.
> The problem is that my flash never reaches a full charge/recycles (the little
> orange
> light won't light up).  Interestingly, it has a FIX or shoe 1 on it.  The
> shoe, thus, has
> no pin on the bottom, but the camera has a slot for one.  Does that make
> sense?  So, does
> anybody know what my problem is?  I will say that I once put an OM shoe from
> a friend's
> camera on the body and had the same result (don't know which one, long time
> ago).

Do you mean the orange light on the flash or in the viewfinder? And
which flash do you have?
The light in the viewfinder won't come on unless you have the right
shoe, with the extra pin to fit in the slot. I don't know exactly which
shoe that is (#3? See the OM FAQ which is linked from the list home
page), but it _isn't_ shoe 1, which is for the OM1 only. A couple of
people have seen shoes for sale recently, check digests from the last
week.
Having the right shoe will also let you use TTL flash, assuming the
flash is capable.

> And if someone is getting ready to say that I need a shoe 2 or 3, do they
> screw in the
> same direction as the shoe 1?  The shoe 1 and shoe 4 have arrows facing the
> opposite
> direction.

If it's meant to fit on the camera, the thread will be in the right
direction;-)

> Last question, I think: The thread on curtain speed, etc. got me thinking
> about the
> accuracy of my meter.  I set the camera to manual in low light and the meter
> read, for
> example, 1/4. (I don't have an eyecup, but tried to prevent light from
> entering the
> viewfinder)  I tripped the shutter and it sounded like 1/4 sec.  Next, I left
> the f-stop
> the same and moved the camera to auto and tripped the sutter.  The shutter
> stayed open
> for well over 1/4 second, probably closer to 1 sec.  This happened for both
> my OM-2 and
> OM-2n.  I realize this is pretty inexact, but I don't have the electronic
> background as
> some of you clearly do.  So, any thoughts on what might be causing this?

I'm guessing you probably didn't have any film in the camera when you
were testing it. During auto exposure, the camera measures the exposure
off the film (OTF) for exposures longer that 1/60th sec. If you had no
film in there, it will be measuring off the pressure plate which is less
reflective than film, so you end up with a longer exposure. If you try
the test again with film in the camera, the shutter speeds should be the
same in auto and manual - and you will also be able to see if the
exposure is _correct_, which is more important.

> That's all for now.  Apologies in advance for being long-winded.  I hesitate
> to ask
> questions b/c I already have enough trouble reading the list as it stands and
> don't want
> to make it even harder w/ my simple questions.
> With that in mind, please cc: all replies to me.  Sometimes it's impossible
> to read all
> the digests (Does anybody else have this problem?), and I don't want to miss
> any replies.

Yes, the list has been in overload lately! All you poor denizens of the
northern hemisphere must be suffering cabin fever;-) Then again, I can't
say that the 35C temperature here today is too pleasant, I'm sitting
here with a wet towel over my shoulders and the fan going full blast -
god forbid going outside, except to the beach!
Dylan