[OM] Re: [OT] lawsuits US vs Europe (was Oprah)

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] lawsuits US vs Europe (was Oprah)
From: wiliam.wagenaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:20:43 +0100

Some of you wrote about sueing in the US:
-----
>=======================
>The Beef Cattle Industry claimed that the airing of the show was untruthful
>
>In my opinion, she should have lost the case.  I felt the show was
>irresponsible, however to the contrary , she prevailed and I think it had
>something to do with her stardom and the argument of freedom of speech, that
>the jury took into account.  If she would have been tried in Montana,
>perhaps a different outcome?
>========================
>
>True, I doubt a fair trial could have been organized in Montana or
>Wyoming or Eastern Oregon.  But the essence of the suit was that
>Oprah said, after hearing about the details of Mad Cow disease
>that it was almost enough for her to want to become a vegetarian.
>
>The jury found that she has the right to say that the existence of
>Mad Cow disease is enough for her to want to be a vegetarian, and
>Oprah prevailed.
>
>Joseph
-----
A few years ago Heineken introduced the first alcohol-free beer in the
Netherlands it was called "Buckler". Marketing the beer did cost millions for
Heneken and people started drinking it in stead of beer containing alcohol.

One of Netherlands most famous stand-up comedians (Youp van't Hek) Mentioned
this beer in a very negative way. Something about disliking/hating people who
drank the alcohol-free beer being hypcrits by drinking beer and not getting
drunk. He referred to them as "Buckler-drinkers". There was a lot of laughter in
the audience (in the theatre as well as at home while the (recorded) show was
broadcasted on TV) But after that people were affraid of being laughed at when
ordering or buying Buckler and the brand stopped sel;ling completely and only a
few months later the brand was withdrawn from the market.

I never heard about any lawsuit of Heineken against Youp van't Hek. What a
difference with the US!

Wiliam Wagenaar,
Middelburg, the Netherlands.