Re: [OM] lurker emerges w/ questions

Subject: Re: [OM] lurker emerges w/ questions
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:46:41 -0000
Somebody (sorry, lost track who) asked:

>Last question, I think: The thread on curtain speed, etc. got me thinking
about the >accuracy of my meter.  I set the camera to manual in low light
and the meter read, for >example, 1/4. (I don't have an eyecup, but tried to
prevent light from entering the >viewfinder)  I tripped the shutter and it
sounded like 1/4 sec.  Next, I left the f-stop the >same and moved the
camera to auto and tripped the sutter.  The shutter stayed open >for well
over 1/4 second, probably closer to 1 sec.  This happened for both my
>OM-2 and OM-2n.  I realize this is pretty inexact, but I don't have the
electronic >background as some of you clearly do.  So, any thoughts on what
might be causing
>this?

Many people have already suggested that this could be because there was no
film in and the meter was measuring light reflected from the back pressure
plate. When I bought my OM2 Spot Program (or OM2S depending where you are)
it had a little piece of green card in the body where the film goes. Printed
on the card were instructions like "This card must be in place when the
camera is demonstrated". Presumably the card had roughly the same
reflectance as film and is needed to counteract precisely this problem.

If I can find it I'll scan it and email it to the List :-))

John