Re: [OM] circuit to measure shutter speed

Subject: Re: [OM] circuit to measure shutter speed
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:03:45 -0500
Tim Hughes said:
...why don't you just get a phototransistor from Radio Shack?
They used to sell a generic part similar to the popular FT100 device.
Most
ham outlets,surplus stores and even say Fry's Electronics in CA also
sell
photo-transistors or photo imnterupters (an LED/Phototransistor pair in
slotted package you could split into two.)

Tried Radio Shack about 6 months ago but all I could get in the store or
the normal catalog were infrared devices.  Went to a small, local
electronics store and bought two different types.  One had a wide field,
the other was narrow.  I started building with the wide field but I
think it introduces errors at high shutter speeds.  I never seemed to
get any closer to the expected result than a few milliseconds.  Makes it
tough to measure 1/125 or faster.  I'm (eventually) going to retry with
the narrow field.  I also think one needs a DC light source.  In some
earlier attempts I think my measurements were picking up 60Hz noise from
the AC line.  Don't really know what I'm doing so have to live and
learn.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA