Re: [OM] Value of an OM-3Ti (and every thing else)

Subject: Re: [OM] Value of an OM-3Ti (and every thing else)
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 09:13:27 -0600
I understand your point, but my successes have been greater than my failures
and my spreadsheet than I keep says, to me, that I'm still ahead even with
repair costs.  I always factor in that a body will need a CLA when I buy
them.  Some do, some don't, but they all will eventually.  I don't want a
3Ti bad enough to pay full price.  I try to be a careful buyer and get good
prices.  Mess up occasionally, but mostly ok.

I loved the story of the collector, but as soon as I read Rancho Santa Fe, I
knew he didn't need the money.  My parents live in the area (nearby, not at
that income level) and it is quite beautiful.  Of course, that's a setup I
would like to buy.

Tom

> Tom & others,
>
> If you are willing spend that much to get the OM3Ti why not just get the
body new?  Based on
> your purchase of the used 4T, I would think you would be a little gun shy
to buy another
> used body.  My own experience has been pretty good on buying used bodies
and lenses, however
> the used ones never compare to a brand new peice of equipment.  I've
noticed that all of the
> new equipment I purchased still looks close to new even though some of it
is 12 to 15 years
> old.  Some of the bargain used pieces have never really perfomed as new,
and some of them
> end up going in for repair after just a few years of use. My only regret
now is I wish I
> would have purchased everyting brand new back in the late 1980's. Also I
have seen some used
> equipment being offered for sale that looks really bad.  Do some people
use this stuff to
> hammer nails? Oh I've seen some photo journalists beat the hell of their
stuff. I sure would
> not want to end up with someone's abused stuff.
>
> Just one other note that I think most will find interesting.  My neighbor
intoduced me to an
> old friend of his who has a very extensive camera collection, and it
includes a huge
> assortment on mint OM equipment.  He told me he has been a camera
collector since the end of
> World War II.  Well the other day he invited me to his "museum" in Rancho
Santa Fe. I was
> really impressed by old rangefinder Nikon's original Leica's and some fine
Rollei's.  But
> when I saw the collection of mint OM stuff, I was surprised.  He said he
never intended to
> collect the OM line, but ended up buying a camera shop in order to aquire
it's real-estate.
> I think this was in the mid 1980's.  He intended on selling the inventory
but no one seemed
> to want it back then.  He said the Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and point &
shoots were all
> purchased by some inventory liquidators.  He kept some things just because
he thouht they
> would be a part of his collection.  He got stuck with all of the OM stuff
(probably because
> he got attached to it).  I noticed a brand new OM-1n, OM-2n, OM-2s, OM3,
and OM4.  I also
> noticed a brand new 100mm 2.0  a winder or two and several lenses
including a shift and a
> few macros.  I asked him if he wanted to sell it, and he laughed.  It's
all now part of his
> "museum".  His working cameras consist of a Leica M4, Canon EOS, and a
Hassy 503. After