[OM] Oly paradise...

Subject: [OM] Oly paradise...
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 03:05:11 +0100
Hi,

Well, well, well, not only did I become uncle for the 2nd time a few hours
ago, but the last three days or so have also been very interesting for me
Oly-wise!

First off: I "pulled a Doris" two days ago by obtaining a T20 (incl.
shipping) for some $23! It'll be a week or so before I will actually have
the flash, but I don't foresee any issues...

Then, today I visited Jaap Korten, for fine-tuning the website I'm making
for him. The name Jaap may still be unfamiliar to many of you, but not quite
so to people like Frank van Lindert, as Jaap has a tremendously big Oly
collection, and he also sells lots of very interesting gear.

So, today alone I have seen more Oly gear than can probably be found in the
Oly-headquarters together! :) Jaap has some really cool stuff, like e.g. 1
of the 25 OM-1 Gold(!) editions, this is really a beauty, and it also has a
gold-mount 50/1.4 mounted on it. Then of course there's an M-1, incl.
matching M-system 50/1.8 and 135/3.5 (and a box for an M-system bellows),
but... Jaap's OM collection is not the most special of his Oly collections,
for his Pen collection by far outranks his OM collection. Also, he has a lot
of the really old cameras (from the years directly after WWII), and he has
quite a lot of FTL stuff, including a bellows for it. Even though I'm not an
Oly collector it was highly interesting to see all this stuff together ---
think of it as an Oly museum!

Then, I made use of the possibility to handle some of the more exotic
lenses. So I now know what the world looks like when seen @ 1000mm and also
when seen @ 8mm! I also made sure to take a look through the 250/2, which is
amazingly bright (quite to the contrary of the 1000/11, which even with a
2-4 gave a very dark viewfinder image!). Not only did I try the 8/2.8, but
also the 16/3.5. Somehow when looking through the 16/3.5 I didn't really get
the feeling I was actually looking through a fisheye - until I saw my
fingers in the viewfinder when focusing, when I took a closer look at the
bottom of the viewfinder I could clearly see my toes too! :))) Cool stuff,
and it's fun to have handled these lenses at least once.

More controversy? Well, he showed me an article which treats the subject of
black lenses vs. white lenses. Hah! We've covered that too, you say? Well,
yes, but this article has a picture showing a _white_ OM-3 and mounted on it
is _white_ 100/2! These items, along with some other telephoto lenses (of
which the focal lengths were not mentioned in the article) had been customly
made for the author of the article. Jaap is going to give me a copy of the
article, which should make for an interesting read, as it also shows some
graphs depicting the differences in heat-build-up in one of the white lenses
vs. the black one (of the same focal length).

Finally, to round off an already good-Oly day, I got a good deal on a TTL
Auto Connector T20, a TTL Auto Multi Connector, a TTL Auto Cord T 0.6m, and
a 2-13 focusing screen. So, for the improvised studio set-up I want to build
(using 3 T-flashes) I now only need to find one more T-flash (preferrably a
T32) and some of the 2m and/or 5m TTL Auto Cords. Does any of you happen to
have some of these cables lying around for a good price (I guess not, as I
noticed some inquiries about stuff like this going over the list over the
last few days)?

Hmmm, I think we should invent a new word for days like these, how about
"Olygasm"?!? No this, will _NOT_ become the name of the new themed events!!!
;)))

Cheers all, and it's time to finally get to bed --- 3 a.m. over here...
Olafo