Re: [OM] a new OM4

Subject: Re: [OM] a new OM4
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <thomas.clausen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 19:54:02 -0700
Hiya Gary et. al.,

Contrary to many, I almost exclusively use the spot-metering
features. As mentioned before, I prefer the OM2s/p, which per default
does one spot-metering when in manual mode. When I use the OM4, I
also almost always take one spot-metering (rarely more than one)  -
and while doing so, I'm feeling annoyed by having to move the finger
to press the "spot" button. This is particulary annoyig when using
the winder on the OM4. I guess it is almost needless to say that I
rarely use the "hilite" and "shadow" buttons - if I were to do so I'd
have to take the camera from my eye and look to see which is which.
Also, I'd have to think to remember what the exact semantics of
pressing either of the buttons has.....no, I never use them. In fact,
I have no recollection of ever using them in "real" situations....

--thomas

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Gary Edwards wrote:
> My ratio is about 300/60 in favor of the OM-2, but I did adapt rather quickly
> the spot meter button when I got the -4T.  Still don't use the hilite/shadow
> buttons.  Guess it's a case of old dogs and new tricks (uh, sorry about that
> choice of words, Susan.)
>
> Gary Edwards
>
> DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > In a message dated 2/12/00 2:59:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, loren@xxxxxxxx
> > writes:
> >
> > << Questions, though. Does anyone actually find uses for the highlight and
> >  shadow buttons? >>
> > never have yet..guess i don't do enuf just white or just black...
> >
> > <<Does anyone still use the exposure compensation dial >>
> > Like you, I often just go straight to it (after 25 years with my trusty OM2,
> > habits die hard. I suupose some day i will totally trust the spot meter, but
> > until then i spot meter, but in extreme lighting situations I still bracket
> > using the overexposure comp. dials.
> > Susan
> > 17-month user of OM4
> > 300-month user of OM2