RE: [OM] photo printers

Subject: RE: [OM] photo printers
From: "Buddy Walters" <IRBWalters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:27:32 -0800
Hi Jan,
Glad to see you are still lurking.
You will not get an argument from me on the merits of Mac over Win for the
best "Digital Darkroom".
Mac dominates the graphics industry.
But, I just could not justify another OS much less another copy of
Photoshop, Illustrator and PageMaker.  So, I will just try and calibrate the
best I can.

I took some advise form Deke McClulland's Photoshop 5 for Windows book and
got out of the default mode and changed my RGB SETUP to SMPTE-240M.  I am
much closer today than ever before to WYSIWYG.
I've still got a lot to learn and it has been a frustrating curve.

I should add that in the past I was pretty much pleased with my printed
results.  But last fall I ran a little test.
1. I moved my light table next to my monitor.
2. I pulled 4 or 5 slides of various colors, bright reds, blues and medium
and darks tones.
3. I compared the slides on the table to the monitor and the printed 8x10s.
If I just looked at a printed photo, I would have said "WOW that is really
great".
But with a close comparison, I could see variations in both the monitor and
the prints.

Maybe I am asking for to much and being to critical.  I've been known to do
that!

Anyway, we're having fun.
Buddy