Re: [OM] OM2000

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2000
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:04:33 -0600
At 01:41 PM 2/14/2000 -0000, you wrote:

>I think I remember a few negative comments on the OM-2000 but they weren't
>very specific. For $159 it seems pretty inexpensive way to keep using OM
>lenses.
>
>Does anyone have any comments on how this camera compares to an OM-1 or OM
4 --
>er I mean obviously it won't be as durable as an om 4 but beyond that how
>about in the area of critical components (is shutter accurate, light meter
>accurate, focusing accurate, camera shake (due to mirror) when taking
pictures,
>feel of camera)...

I think some negative comments about the OM2000 are not very specific
because they don't result from actual experience with the camera -- in
other words, some people don't like the *idea* of the OM2000.  I don't
think it is failing at being an OM-1 or OM-4Ti;  I think it is succeeding
at being a pretty good, inexpensive manual SLR that takes Oly mount lenses.

Negative points:

-- It's cheap (about $160 at B&H) with plastic body parts and
cheesy-feeling self-timer lever, especially

-- Wind on lever has to be at a 30 degree angle to the body to unlock the
shutter/meter, which pokes left-eyed users and Cro-Magnon foreheads like
mine when doing verticals unless modified

-- Meter is actuated just like OM-2S through OM-4T (depress shutter button
slightly) but doesn't stay actuated once shutter button is released.

-- Not a full system camera body:  No screens, winders, TTL or PC cord ports

Positive points:

-- It's cheap (about $160 at B&H) with plastic body parts and it's very
light as a result

-- Center-weighted and spot meters are superior to Olympus bodies older
than OM-2S

-- Shutter is accurate and clean (doesn't induce harmonic vibration a la OM-1)

-- Self-timer gives mirror-lockup and aperture stop down and can be set to
fire in less than 5 seconds (but you have to develop a "feel" for this from
use)

-- Can easily reset shutter without advancing film for double exposures and
film flashing

-- Viewfinder is brighter than OM's with 1 series screens.

-- Takes very good photographs under temperature extremes

-- Shutter lock/wind-on lever forehead poker is easily modified

Debatables:

-- meter display:  Nikon-style (FM2 and others) + o - LEDs  (doesn't bother
me but others dislike it)

-- superior to OM-1 as a mechanical camera?:  depends whether sheer
accuracy is the criterion or whether full system capability is the greater
desirable

-- OM2000 will not hold up:  probably but we don't know this yet

To sum up:  I'm enjoying this camera and use it to shoot film that requires
maximum accuracy (at least as much accuracy as an OM-2S), especially where
a mechanical body may also be desired.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA