Re: [OM] Lens hoods--100F2.0 and others?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens hoods--100F2.0 and others?
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 23:59:14 +0100
ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx schrieb:

> I am certain that the built in lens hood of the 100F2.0 is inadequate,

Yes, short, but better than nothing.

> and
> plan to try alternatives--such as the metal Zeiss hood for the 85F2.8 Sonar
> (also 55mm filter thread).  Has anyone else done something similar?

I have an 55mm metal lens hood originaly intended to be used with an
Minolta 80-200mm zoom.

> If so,
> have you perceived a performance difference?

No, the lens design seems to have a good control on flare.

> This is not to detract from the design of the 100f2.0--overall I think
> Olympus made an excellent compromise (the hood provided is better than
> nothing).

Well, Leitz (Leica) once build an double telescopic hood for an 90mm
lens.

> One bright sunny day, I'm going to test it against
> the OM metal clamp-on hood (intended for a 50mm),

The clamp-on hood would only work if used with an filter. The first
thing, I would remove for optimum image quality, is an filter.

Regards

Richard