Re: [OM] OM1

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:35:25 +0000
At 09:29 2/14/00 , Paul Reynolds wrote:
>Having read recent threads about OM1's and meter readings, its rather ironic
>that I seem to have the same problem myself, in so far as my OM1 seems to be
>under reading by at least two stops.
>
>The battery is a PX625A, Alkaline Cell, made in China, inserted by the
>previous owner. Clutching at straws, could this be the problem? If it isn't,
>any other suggestions?

If the alkaline is old then it could very well be.  Alkaline cells drop
voltage gradually as they age and approach "end of life."  Mercury and
silver cells maintain a constant voltage until the very end, and then fall
off very quickly.  This makes the mercury and silver better for meters that
depends on cell voltage to work correctly.

Remember:  Using a silver cell in the OM-1[n] is just as bad as using an
alkaline because of its higher voltage unless the camera has been modified
for higher voltage silver cells.  Aside from the ring collar for the 675
zinc-air hearing aid batteries, there is another adapter that will use an
MS76 silver cell and drop the voltage down.

-- John