[OM] RE: -1n dilemma revisited RE: olympus-digest V2 #1448

Subject: [OM] RE: -1n dilemma revisited RE: olympus-digest V2 #1448
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:46:15 -0000
Cc: "'olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Acer,

>> Brian wondered:>>>Of course this interpretation depends on what you mean
>> by "chrome showing +2".
>> I'm assuming that you mean that the chrome body indicates 2 stops *more*
>> exposure, i.e. it reads 2 stops *less* light. Otherwise my guess is
>> void.<<<
>>

>> You are correct, sorry for not phrasing it better. Well, so now what do I
>> do? Any way to find out if the body has a diode mod or the coil is fried
>> or what?

You *could* try a fresh silver oxide or alkaline cell in the chrome body
(alkaline might be better in this case if that's what was in it before).
The fact that the meter needle still moves tells you that the coil is OK
at the moment.

If you then get correct readings then you might be home free, and you'll
only have one body (the black one) to keep supplied with mercury cells.

However, short of disassembly it may be difficult to tell for sure whether
there is a diode in the circuit. Careful use of a multimeter might be able
to detect its presence, but someone more electrically clued-up than me would
need to advise you there.

If anyone has any better ideas then hopefully they'll step in here and
put you (and me) right!

Note: *under NO circumstances* should you put a silver or alkaline cell into
your black body. Since it certainly hasn't had the mod, its meter might
not survive.

-Brian