Re: [OM] EBay OT Stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] EBay OT Stuff
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 13:01:24 -0800
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 2/15/2000 Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Mike,
>
> You may have pissed somebody off but certainly not me. Actually, there was
> a community service element in the 2gabe caper which I imagine we all
> appreciate to the extent that we have dealt with online auctions. But I had
> noted at the same time this was going on that there were a growing number
> of eBay "announcements," which had nothing to do with your post or followups.
>
> I was just wondering whether consensus had shifted in favor of discussing
> or promoting eBay sales on list.
>
> Joel Wilcox
> Iowa City, Iowa USA

Perhaps I misunderstood your post, it appeared as though a thread which
I had a hand in starting was not to your liking and you voiced your
displeasure. While your displeasure was not directed at me, rather the
thread itself, I felt the need to take some responsibility for starting
it and offered my apologies to those offended.

I have no idea what the consensous you speak of was/is (there seem to be
few rules and no FAQ for this mail list). I will weigh in with my own
take on ebay, items fs, etc. related posts. My understanding is that we
are encouraged to offer Olympus items we may have for sale here first.
It is also my understanding that we share what we find and perceive as
"deals" in the used marketplace through whatever channels we
individually use. Where I draw the line and tend to agree is we don't
need to do each other's ebay searches and post the results here...it's
pretty easy to do yourself after all. That said, I thought that the
comraderie of the list was very strong in dealing with 2gabe and
wouldn't want that comraderie to go away. I do know a great many of us
here use ebay. If a camera dealer is screwing customers and they sell
Olympus stuff wouldn't it be "on-topic" to disclose this to the group in
an effort to help others? How does this change if they are an ebay
seller?

Perhaps you can enlighten me, and others who may be confused, as to what
is "on-topic" and what is not. I'll assume for starters that we can all
agree SUVs and politics are _not_ "on topic" ;-) Scanners? Printers?
Film? Where do you/we draw the line? Just wondering...

I'm done, back to lurking again.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com