[OM] Experimenting with BG2

Subject: [OM] Experimenting with BG2
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 21:14:18 -0600
February is my month to play with flash setups. Since thanks to another
list member I've procured a TTL auto connector T20, I'm now able to use my
two T20's with the BG2 to explore the combo as a macro setup.  This works
great in both manual and TTL with the OM-2S, but then I got a notion to try
two T20's on the BG2 with an OM-1. It was a little scary.

Here's what happened.  I wanted the BG2 flash to be to the camera's right.
In this orientation and with a winder, one needs to use the BG2's PC cord
and also use an extender for the PC cord, which is otherwise too short to
reach the camera's X sync.  I figured I might try powering the second T20
on the auto connector with a TTL cord running from the TTL port at the
bottom of the BG2.  I tried it and it works, but when I first turned the
flash mounted on the BG2 on, it immediately flashed -- just from moving the
switch to "on"!  Once it powered up again, both flashes worked perfectly.
I tried to repeat the initial untriggered dump.  Starting with both flashes
off, I turned on the remote flash first, then when I turned on the T20
mounted to the BG2, it did the same untriggered dump but worked perfectly
after that.

This is a useful arrangement for me, but I hesitate to use it with this
kind of behavior.  Is this behavior harmless or is there a good reason not
to mix PC cord driven flash on the BG2 with a TTL cord driven remote flash?

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA