Re: [OM] mail order from Canada question

Subject: Re: [OM] mail order from Canada question
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:35:55 -0700
At 08:42 PM 2/15/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Anybody south of the border ever mail order anything from Canada?
>I found a few things I want and asked the store about sending stuff to the
>U.S., i.e. import duties and the like.  They seemed to be rather uninformed
>and intentionally ambiguous.  They did mention 2%     charge on goods over
>$200, maybe.
>Anybody have any information that might help?

P.J.:

Well, as a Canuck who rather regularly buys stuff from the States, I can't see
why the transactions should be any less smooth the other way around.  (There is
this little agreement in place between Canada and the U.S.A. known as "NAFTA,"
after all...).

As for the people in question being "rather uninformed and intentionally
ambiguous," I can vouch for the fact that U.S. Customs rules & regs are every
bit as impenetrable to the average Canadian as Canadian Customs rules & regs
are to the average American (and I deal with some well-informed people south of
the border).  Frankly, the way you find out about import duties into the U.S.
is to talk to U.S. Customs, *not* a Canadian business.  U.S. Customs is the
final authority for such info.  It's a rare business that'll have authoritative
info on the import rules and regs of another country (Hell, it's hard enough
finding out about our *own* rules...).  I encourage you to let your fingers do
the walking through the government pages of your local telephone directory.

Garth

"Q: What's long and hard on a Canadian?
  A: Winter."