Re: [OM] mail order from Canada question

Subject: Re: [OM] mail order from Canada question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 23:53:51 +0000
At 01:42 2/16/00 , p.j. inquired:
>Anybody south of the border ever mail order anything from Canada?
>I found a few things I want and asked the store about sending stuff to the
>U.S., i.e. import duties and the like.  They seemed to be rather uninformed
>and intentionally ambiguous.  They did mention 2%     charge on goods over
>$200, maybe.
>Anybody have any information that might help?

Yes.  Bought a used Rollei P11 dual format projector from a seller in
Canada.  Did not pay any duty on it as it was exempt from it.  Many things
photographic are exempted from import duties between Canada and the U.S.
There are a handful of specific things that are not.  What you have to know
is the harmonized tariff codes and how to properly classify something being
sent one direction or the other.  Canada generally enjoys a NAFTA Canada
Preference with zero duty, but you need to check on the specific commodity
by HTS (Harmonized Tariff Schedule) number.  Two very relevant ones are:
a.  For 35mm SLR's:  90065100
b.  For camera lenses:  90021190

To look things up go here:
  http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff2000.asp

Then enter "camera" into the search box and press the "List_items" button.
you will be presented with a selection list of all sorts of camera, optical
and photographic related stuff.

Note that "nesi" means "not otherwise specified" under a different number.
Interpret this carefully!  If you are shipping a 35mm SLR and find a
specific listing applicable such as "through lens viewfinder not greater
than 35mm" (meaning an SLR) you cannot use the "nesi" coverage on the other
general 35mm camera listing.

Scroll down the list, select the item most descriptive and then scroll back
up to the top and hit the "Detail" button.  Make certain you check the
entire list for the *most* descriptive HTS number!

You will get a chart showing the import duty (ad valorem percentage or flat
rate).  Normally you will find Canada listed down at the bottom of the
chart in the "preferrential or duty free" section in a NAFTA listing.  If
it says "Eligible: Code 'CA'" then it qualifies for reduced or zero duty.
If there is a duty, it will be shown, otherwise it's none.

The person shipping to you will have to fill out a declaration verbally
describing what the item is and put it on the outside of the shipping
container.  It helps if you know what the HTS code and any eligibility or
exemption code are and have them put that on it also.

Hope this helps.  Play around the site a little to get a feel for how it
works.  We ship manufacturing equipment to plants globally which is how I
know about this site.

-- John