RE: [OM] FLASH WITH 20MM MACRO

Subject: RE: [OM] FLASH WITH 20MM MACRO
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:38:27 +0100
Hi,

I'm still a "macro-virgin" as I've decided to first focus on different
fields of photography, most noticeably so portrait work. As such, I don't
have the 20/2 macro lens, and anything I write in this post will therefore
be pure speculation.

O.k., first off: since I could get a steal-deal on a T28 twin flash a while
ago (thanks to Hans!) I decided to buy it, so I could use it in the future
for when I want to go macro. Having done this, I did have the possibility to
take a close look at the T28 and the way it mounts on the Flash Shoe Ring. I
can indeed imagine the flash heads to be a little bit too far forward in
order to give full frontal lighting when mounted on the flash shoe ring.

So, how to improve this?
Of course you could simulate a T28 Twin Flash by using two T20s which you
set in two TTL AutoConnectors T20, these can then e.g. be screwed in a table
tripod (one of these tiny tripods), and aimed towards your subject as
desired. Hopefully this will get the flashes close enough for usage with the
20/2 lens. If it doesn't, you'll have to figure out another way of getting
the flashes close enough to your subject.

So, assuming this method will work, all you then need is one or more T20
flashes (depending on how many light sources you need/want), equally many
TTL AutoConnectors T20 (have fun looking for those :( ), optionally some
table tripods, optionally a TTL MultiConnector and several TTL AutoCords for
hooking everyhting up. I would be very interested to hear how well this
works.

Then, OTOH, if you do have a T28 and are faced with the problem that the
flash heads are too far mounted forward, you could try building a similar
setup as described above, where you mount the two flash heads on two table
tripods which are equiped with cold shoes.

Just some speculation of course, but if one of you is going to try this,
please let me know what your findings are...

Cheers!
Olafo