RE: [OM] FLASH WITH 20MM MACRO

Subject: RE: [OM] FLASH WITH 20MM MACRO
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:49:47 -0800
From: "Jim" <teojim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

What will be best flash set up when using the 20mm Macro lens?

T-10 or T-8 works nicely.

By using T-32 off-the-camera on TTL auto, is it appropriate?

I've not had good results with the T-32 and 20 macro.

First, the subject-to-lens distance is very small, making it difficult to position the flash.

Second, wherever you put the T-32 will result in side-lighting, and resultant high-contrast shadows if the subject is not perfectly flat.

Third, the T-32 supplies too much light at the typical macro working distances.

Fourth, without modelling lights, you'll stand a good chance of blowing a whole roll of film before finding out it won't work! :-)

If you can't get hold of one of the ring lights, I'd go for the T-20 and the TTL hot shoe over the T-32.

If you must use a T-32, use the darkest ND filter you can find. Try different things, and take good notes so you know what works when you get the film back, because you'll have NO IDEA by looking through the viewfinder.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>