[OM] Multiple T32's, TTL & studios

Subject: [OM] Multiple T32's, TTL & studios
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:54:14 -0800
Tom, Joel, Ian and all others interested,

Tom, after reading your post about the home studio I wanted to make some
comments based on
my experience of using multiple T32's and TTL lighting setups.  Obviously when
setting up a
studio every photographer may have a unique style of lighting that they are
trying to
achieve.  I always tried to go for a very intense and even light while shooting
portraits
with the absolute minimal shadow.  I want the exposure values to be equal on
the equal
halves of the picture.  So with that said I will share some of my experience in
shooting
with multiple T32's.  Since what I'm doing requires taking at least 3 or 4
readings with the
flash meter I do not see a need for even setting the camera to auto and thus
using any TTL
flash from the OM4 or 2s.  Obviously when I shoot with the OM3 I can't do TTL
flash anyway.
However on occasions I have experimented with the OM4 in auto and TTL OTF mode.
I have gone
through the trouble of using the TTL Multi Connector and all of the expensive
TTL cords
(which I was lucky enough to purchase before the price hikes in the early
1990s).  I usually
get a pretty good  control as long as I'm very careful as to the placements of
my
umbrellas.  But it is just much easier for me to just use my Wein remote slave
unit. So what
I normally do is put the Wein unit on the hot shoe and use a primary trigger
slave on one
flash.  I then use relatively inexpensive shoe slaves (about $30 each) on the
other strobes.
Works well with no cords running all over and I feel less confined. Well before
I got the
Wein unit (I think it cost about $165) I did things a little different.  I
would set the OM4
to auto and use one cord from the camera to the first T32.  Set all of the
panels on the
T32's to the TTL side. But instead of cabling them with the messy TTL cords and
the Multi
connector, I just put the inexpensive light sensitive slave unit shoes under
the non corded
T32's.  Guess what?  In my opinion the TTL worked just as good as with all of
the things
corded up.  I don't know exactly why it did but it did. I even would substitute
a Vivitar
283 and get the same TTL results.  Go figure.

Tom, one more thing.  I don't recommend using the Bounce Grip 2 in a photo
shoot using
umbrellas.  It is too easy for the BG2 to throw light into odd places off the
umbrellas.
This might cause some nasty flare. Of course it makes a big difference as to
how big the
umbrellas are and to where they sit.  But most of the time when shooting with
umbrellas it
is just best not to use any camera mounted flash.

Well thats been my experience.  Comments are welcome.

Phillip Franklin