Re: [OM] mail order from Canada question

Subject: Re: [OM] mail order from Canada question
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:00:06 -0800
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

(There is this little agreement in place between Canada and the U.S.A. known as "NAFTA," after all...).

I found out the hard way that NAFTA only applies to goods manufactured in a member country. Technically, if you can PROVE that duty was paid on an item in one country or the other, you should not have to pay it again to move it between countries, but that proof is apparently not as simple as a sales receipt -- you need some sort of import document.

In one battle with US Customs, I discovered two rules:
1) The customs agent is always right.
2) If you think you've been wrongly charged a duty, refer to Rule #1, above.

The worst that SHOULD happen is a 3 0.000000ee for camera gear, plus a possibly usurious "brokerage fee," which can be many times the actual customs duty! I once paid ~$5 in actual customs duty, plus a $25 brokerage fee to UPS!

International Post seems the best on brokerage, at "only" $5 in the US.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>