RE: [OM] 85-250

Subject: RE: [OM] 85-250
From: "Ángel Lobo" <angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:58:22 +0100
Tom:

After a lot of years of use this "old" zoom and in spite of a lot of tests,
I think it is the best tele zoom on the Olympus catalogue. Maybe a little
lack of contrast.

Working with this zoom on 85, 100, 135 and 200 mm, I never miss the fix
lenses. ( Even I prefer the zoom than 135 2.8 and 3.5 and 200 f4 and f5).

Maybe the zoom are a little bit more warm than this fix focal lenses.

Some test of the british magazine "Amateur Photographer" on 1981 says the
best f numb. on this zoom is f 8.  I guess this is not right. For me the
best f numbers are:

85 and 100mm  = f 11 & f16.
135 mm  =  f11, 16 & 22.
200 & 250 mm =  f16 & 22.

(f 32 is only good for deph of field, but with lack of contrast and
definition, and worse colour rendition).

I think, on this matter, this zoom is very well calibrated. A lot of times
I think about the big work on the Oly design depart. on the middle of the
70´s:

In my opinion, as landscape photographer, the relationship on Foc. lenght
(85-250), Weight (almost 900grms),the two touch design, the diameter (55mm
filter) and overall quality is PERFECT !  You can add the perfect balance,
mounted on the tripod, with the OM body and a Winder 2.

I have two items of this zoom 85-250.
One engraved "Zuiko MC" (the old one), the other engraved "Zuiko" (the more
modern),both lenses are multicoated. The colour reflection on the lenses
are not the same, but after some tests, the photographs of both lenses are
identicals.

There is a film (or video) with André Kertész taking pictures with a black
OM 2n and the Zuiko zooms 35-70 f3.6 and 85-250 f5 ...  A dearly
photographer with a good camera and two excellents lenses.

As you can see, I enjoy talking about some people and some objets...

Yes Tom.
Please, If you can, buy this Oly zoom  85-250. (I think $375 is not very
high).

Ángel Lobo.
CUENCA  ( Spain ).