Re: [OM] titanium color

Subject: Re: [OM] titanium color
From: MorrisMini@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:27:07 EST
Hi all,

I have worked with titanium a bit.  It is very gummy to machine, but the
surface finish can be a variety of textures, depending on how it is worked.
It can be buffed to a very high luster.  As a comparison to the plating on
musical instruments, silver tends to be "white", chrome is "blue" and nickel
is "black".  I would characterize polished Ti to be a dark gray/brown.

The old Teledyne Titan Titanium bike frames were raw Ti as I remember, and
were a real headache to keep looking nice.  Every fingerprint and smudge
would show up on them.  They seemed to be a dull, but not bead-blasted
finish.  The frame was very whippy, great for light riders doing steady time
trial speeds but not good for gorillas doing sprints.

Tim Clark