[OM] Lens Test: 50mm f/1.2 Zuiko

Subject: [OM] Lens Test: 50mm f/1.2 Zuiko
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:33:23 -0800
Here is a lens test that many people have been waiting to see. I'm sure
it will generate some comments. It's the average of three rather similar
samples of the 50mm f/1.2 Zuiko, so no one can claim the results to be a
fluke of the sample. The contrast grades are directly comparable to
other lens tests where I included a column for Contrast. Don't try and
compare them to my statements about contrast in the Notes section. The
two different maps being used for testing differ in their gloss, with
the contrast statements in "Notes" being from a more matte finish.

This is a very smooth and easy to focus lens, despite the C grades wide
open. There is no click stop at f/1.4, so the exposures varied from
about f/1.4 to f/1.6, depending on where the ring was set.

I'll have the results posted to my WWW site soon, along with those of a
16mm Fisheye, a 500mm f/8 Zuiko, a OM-4T retest of the 21mm f/3.5 SC, a
new OM-4T test of a multicoated 24mm f/2.8, a OM-4T retest of the
35-70mm f/3.5~4.5, a 100-300mm f/4 Tokina AT-X, and a 80-200mm f/2.8
Tokina AT-X.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV
*******************************
50mm f/1.2 Zuiko (multi-coated)
OM-4T with mirror and diaphragm prefire
Vignetting = C @ f/1.2, B @ f/1.5, B+ @ f/2, A @ f/2.8
Distortion = slight barrel (none?)
Aperture  Center    Corner   Contrast
f/1.2     C         C+       Mod. high
~f/1.5    B-        C+       High
f/2       B-        B-       High
f/2.8     A-        A-       High
f/4       A-        A-       High
f/5.6     B+        A-       High
f/8       A-        A-       High
f/11      B+        A-       High
f/16      B+        B        High
Note: Average of three different samples (except contrast grades from
one sample).