Re: [OM] Snowbound, Uninspired and Cabin-Fevered

Subject: Re: [OM] Snowbound, Uninspired and Cabin-Fevered
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 01:00:44 +1100
John Lind wrote

> Shift Lens and OM-1n Meter Oddity:
> Did run into an interesting phenomenon with the 35mm shift lens.  The OM-1n
> meter didn't respond readily to it when stopped down like it does to the
> other "auto" lenses.

It isn't an auto lens. Turning the aperture ring on an auto lens tells
the body to bias the meter reading. On a manual OM lens with preview off,
it does nothing; with preview on it alters the actual aperture. To use
this lens you can simply leave the preset on except to focus. If you
expose with the preview off (out) you will be using f/2.8 no matter
what the ring says. I have ruined a few shots that way (no depth of
field). The ADM auto can fix the exposure value.

One way to prevent mistakes is to tape the preview button down
permanently but I can't bring myself to put horrid sticky stuff
on my mint lens.

> The OM-4's meter responds immdediately to the
> stop-down.  I chalked it up to metering differences between the two bodies.

The OM-1 has a CdS meter which has a memory effect. Wait a few
seconds, just as you must when pointing the camera into shade on a
bright day. The OM-4 has a meter without the memory effect.

BTW I have seen it said that one cannot meter shifted, but I have
found it doesn't matter, and nor can I think of a reason why it would.
There is 1/3 stop fall-off at the edges wide-open, which is gone by
f/5.6 and is not dependent on the shift at all. There is some
viewfinder vignetting at extreme shift, in one direction only, also
gone by f/5.6, but any shot with that is ruined anyway.