Re: [OM] Re: macro posts please

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: macro posts please
From: "Daan Kalmeijer" <daank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:23:36 +0100

>I think I'll try the 2s. Macro flash computation is not that tough (it's in
the calculator).
>With flower shots the macro OTF can try to light up the background and over
expose the flower.
>Getting closer helps but DOF gets worse. I've gotten some unusual results
using a grey card
>as a background, some flowers transmit noticeable amounts of light which
colors the grey card.

>I appreciate the advice on the 1-12, a 1-11 was in the plan and a now a
1-12 is too.

In my opinion TTL flash is not that easy in all situations. I do not use TTL
in the field when I am working around 1:1,5 to 3:1. TTL usually needs some
exposure compensation in these cases so I end up bracketing a few shots.
Using a fixed setup (im my case 38/2.8 or 80/4, telescopic tube, T28,
Velvia) I can preset the aperture for a given magnification, let the T28
give it's full manual output and I end up with a proper exposure. The only
thing that can be a problem is a subject or background that acts as a
reflector: f.i. a bug on a large white flower. The flower reflects light
towards the bug so it gets overexposured. This factor is easy to compensate
for and quite predictable.

To me TTL is OK for low magnification shots where I don't have a predictable
manual result so bracketing would get me better results with less exposures.
But for these magnifications I wouldn't prefer flash anyway.

Daan