[OM] Anonymous Olympus (was: Blacked-out "Olympus")

Subject: [OM] Anonymous Olympus (was: Blacked-out "Olympus")
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:20:18 +0100
Not long ago, at a camera fair, I spotted an immaculate OM-? camera.

It took some effort to tell that it was an OM-4, because all lettering
on front of the camera was filled with black paint or wax.
The job had been done thorougly, but with great love and care - no
black paint at all was visible on the body except in the narrow depths
where the ugly white letters had been before.
I didn't ask, but maybe the owner used something like a black Fargo
stick for his job too.

The lens (a 50/1.4 was on it) had been treated in the same way.
The strap eyelets were also painted black (or maybe they had been
replaced by black ones) and a large-size rubber shade on the lens
obscured the chrome lens mount ring - seen from the front.

The camera mentioned above was rather cheap.
All possible buyers, including me, didn't like the anonymous Olympus.
I guess we all sensed that there could be only one reason to treat
your camera this way - Zuikoholism, and who wants to be associated
with that? And of course the owner, most probably a member of Olympus
Anonymous, used this camera in his quarterly periods of recession...

When asked the seller, who admitted to be the original owner, told me
he had done all paintwork to make his camera less visible to animals
he used to take pictures of. All kind of wildlife, from big to very
small, made his favorite subjects.

At that time I decided to believe him.
But now I've come to think of it - all those lenses with blacked-out
'Olympus' might be the symptoms of an almost epidemic addiction
problem...

Frank van Lindert
utrecht holland.