[OM] Re: Macro posts

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro posts
From: Wm Biesele <wbiesele@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:11:02 -0700
Rand E.
  Apparently those of you younger folk on the list fail to remember that
the TTL feature was introduced with the OM2 and OM2n models and they, in
all probability, remains the mainstay (due to numbers) to this day.
Remember that it will most likely be the 2 and the 2n that will remain
with the factory produced (not upgraded wi 4T ckt bd) after the majority
of the OM2s's and OM4's succumb to their frailties.
...  I realize that the glamour is with the 2s, the 4's, but you also have
to remember the true work horse of the line is, and will most likely
remain, the OM2 and the OM2n (along with the non TTL OM1 and OM1n).
IMHO,
Daan Kalmeijer
In my opinion TTL flash is not that easy in all situations. I do not use TTL
in the field when I am working around 1:1,5 to 3:1. TTL usually needs some
exposure compensation in these cases so I end up bracketing a few shots.
Using a fixed setup (im my case 38/2.8 or 80/4, telescopic tube, T28,
Velvia) I can preset the aperture for a given magnification, let the T28
give it's full manual output and I end up with a proper exposure. The only
thing that can be a problem is a subject or background that acts as a
reflector: f.i. a bug on a large white flower. The flower reflects light
towards the bug so it gets overexposured. This factor is easy to compensate
for and quite predictable.

To me TTL is OK for low magnification shots where I don't have a predictable
manual result so bracketing would get me better results with less exposures.
But for these magnifications I wouldn't prefer flash anyway.
Frank van Lindert:
Of course TTL is good for macrophotography (and photomicrography!)
But you will not often need spot-measurement, certainly not in
bigger-than-lifesize macro.
I think this is the main reason that in laboratories you will find
more OM2N's than OM4(T)'s mounted on microscopes or VST/bellows
set-ups.
Another important reason is the better viewfinder. Especially in the
low light situations often met in macro/micro every extra ray of light
reaching the screen instead of passing _through_ the mirror counts.
Paul Farrar
On my examples, at least, I find that the 2N has a greater usable range
for TTL flash than the 4T. It will handle closer distances and wider
apertures by about 1 stop or so. This means its TTL system is faster
reacting. This may be due to using analog electronics for TTL shutoff
rather than emulating then with a digital computer.

Rand:
Read your post right after a discussion with my wife (also a zuikoholic). We
decided
to put a 2n in the macro bag. Good timing. She pointed out that we don't use
spot
metering for macro shoots, the cameras with spot metering should be used for
other types of photography. Since TTL is handy the 2n was nominated.

Daan:
In my experience with TTL in macro situations it has not been consistently
accurate.
A hand held flash meter with a 'mini probe' and compensation for the extension
are
more reliable, except when I forget to do the calculation.

Paul:
One of the original questions was what differences each body had for TTL flash.
This
is the first response to address that, thanks.

Frank:
Important point, especially since there are not 2-11 or 2-12 screens.

In summary: These responses favor the 2n (or 1n) over newer models. The only
possible
drawbacks are the fragile hot shoe (the T1 is heavy) and lack of diopter
correction in the
earlier models. Fortunately the Varimagnifinder can just correct for my myopic
eyes.

Thanks for all the input.

Bill Biesele

P.S. Does anyone know how to tighten the ring shoe? Mine came apart the other
night and
now the shoes spin freely around the mount.