Re: [OM] Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] Ti
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:29:17 -0600
Gregg wrote:
>Wow.  There are two of us in the world that love ELP.  I actually know
>of no one else that even know who they are.

Keith's playing is simply beyond...  The stories about the recording
sessions have gone down in the annals of recording industry history as
somewhat legendary.  He shows up at the studio with over 20 Lesli speakers
(nearly 10 tons of equipment in total).  The recording engineer looked at
all the stuff that was dragged in and decided to just stack them all up in
one end of the studio and just stereo mike the whole mess from halfway down
the room.  They augemented somewhat with a few close mikes to satisfy the
"quad" crowd but otherwise the setup was true ambient stereo.  To "match"
the sound of the guitar and drums to the keyboard sounds, they ended up
miking everything else in a similar manner too.  If you know what to listen
for you can actually hear the studio and in one spot on a song (don't ask
me which one, I've long since forgotten), you can hear creaking and popping
of the walls due to temperature changes caused by failure of the
air-conditioning to keep up with all of the tube amplifiers.  The next
album to use true stereo imaging techniques was Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

Ken Norton