[OM] re: camera storage/silica gel

Subject: [OM] re: camera storage/silica gel
From: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 22:59:09 EST
in defense of drierite:
I realize that the warnings make drierite sound as though it is extremely
deadly, but the majority of warnings deal with the indicator, Cobalt
Chloride.  This is the same indicator in Silica Gel.  Although, Drierite has
a higher concentration, 2-4% vs. 1%.  As far as the other warning about
eating it and it clumping: the stuff acts like cement when eaten, I guess.
As goes for a lot of things: don't eat it.  MSDS sheets are like the pieces
of paper they give people with prescription medicines now; after reading
them, people see all the possible side effects and wonder how the medicine
ever helps.
In any case, Drierite may be poisonous, but so is just about everything under
your sink.  Use caution and use your head.
Oh, and don't lick your camera anymore to clean it!

--p.j.

RE: monkey on my back
I went pawn shopping the other day.  One place had the Wolf Camera Syndrome:
clean OM-10 and clean 28/3.5 for a mere $300!!!!!!!!!  If interested let me
know!
I didn't have the heart to tell the guy it's worth about $50.
They did have a 135/3.5, probably close to mint (nice case), that he said he
would sell for $60 (was $99).  I didn't really look at the lens b/c I have
the 135/2.8. I don't even know if it is MC, although I suspect it was not.
In any case, if anybody is interested I'll go have another look at it and get
back to you.  According to the E-bay history site, it sounds like a fair
price but definitely not a steal.
And as far as OM stuff is short supply, a local camera dealer said that had
an OM-2n in user condition last 4hrs in their store.  It went for $225 or
$250; not exactly a bargain.

OT: Any Kiwis watching the America's Cup?