Re: [OM] Matched 1.4x adaptor for Tokina 300/2.8?

Subject: Re: [OM] Matched 1.4x adaptor for Tokina 300/2.8?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:10:37 +0000
At 23:12 2/20/00 , BBB wrote:
>At any rate, I've been looking around for a matched 1.4x adaptor.
>Anyone familiar with one for Tokina?
>
>On a similar note, anyone know where I can find a metal screw-on lens
>cap in 117mm size? I think I'll just forego the polarizer shots on
>this lens.

Geez!  I just looked up the filter prices for your "tusk" and the
polarizers I found bracketed around the ring size (117mm??) you mentioned
are in the price range of a used 300/4.5 MC lens in EX++ condition!

BTW, I checked out B&H's caps and rings . . . B+W, Heliopan, Tiffen,
generic, etc.  117mm is an odd size.  They didn't have anything listed for
step-up or adaptor or cap in that size.  You certain it's 117mm?  Standard
sizes run 105, 112, 120 and 127mm.  Just looked at Tokina's site.  If yours
is the AT-X300 SD-APO, then it's filter thread size on the objective end is
112mm (the outer dia. is 117mm).  B&H didn't have any screw-on caps that
size, but has a Tamron 112mm for $24.95.  If it's the lens above, it also
should have a filter holder for 35.5mm filters.  THK is Tokina's U.S.
distributor:
  http://www.thkphoto.com/
  http://www.thkphoto.com/catalog/t/atx300sdapo.html
  [first is the home page; second is the page on the lens]

Oh, yes . . . congratulations on your lens!  With a beastie like that fast
does not mean you can run fast with it, so don't anger the wildlife <g>.

If that's the right filter size you might need to contact Tokina to see if
they have a replacement screw-on cap for it.  At that size I'd be concerned
about a snap-on staying snapped on!

--John