[OM] Shooting into the Looking Glass

Subject: [OM] Shooting into the Looking Glass
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:06:44 -0800
The concept of shooting a self portrait through the mirror is really starting
to intrigue
me.  I've got a pretty good skylight in this room with a southern exposure so I
might get
natural lighting to work at maybe 1/60th at f/5.6.  But I'm also going to try
some strobe
shots, and that's where it gets real tricky.  I've looked at it from several
different ways
including bouncing off a wall .... the ceilings are very high in this room and
are at the
wrong angle.  Bouncing off the wall could create the problem of nasty lens
flare. So what
I'm thinking about doing is using a soft box on a overhead boom. I think I can
point down at
a 45 degree angle so that the longer lens with a long shade will not pick up
the flare.  I'm
thinking of basically getting the flash to fall between me and the camera. Of
couse I do
want the camera in the shot.  I may want to keep it reversed but it is so easy
to flip it in
photoshop that is not even an issue.  However I do want people to see the
Olympus brand and
OM model number.  It would even be cool to read the lens info. Any other
suggestions.

To stay on the same topic. Does any one remember a very famous Leica photo
which shows the
model holding a rangefinder Leica as if doing a self portrait?  It is a
classic.  Several
years ago a famous fashion model almost recreated that shot by really shooting
herself in
the mirror with a Nikon F1.  At the time it made all of the photo mags. I
believe that shot
was done in the early 1970's.  I assume the Leica shot was done in the mid to
late 1960's.
Anyway they are both cool.  I just want to develop this technique for use in
creative
portraiture.  Looking at all of the complexities of shooting with strobes, I
can see why
it's seldomly done.  But again it's cool.

Phillip Franklin