[OM] polarizing filters on 28mm lenses

Subject: [OM] polarizing filters on 28mm lenses
From: Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 19:25:11 -0500
Hello,

I hate asking silly paranoid technical questions, but one has come
up and I'm feeling obsessive right now.  :-)

Next month, I'll be taking a spring break trip to Hawaii.  Since
I'm not likely to get down there again any time soon, I'm going
to want to take a lot of pictures, and I want them to come out
well.  :-)

Since I'm a poor student right now (hopefully that will change
after this spring when I graduate -- anyone want to hire a bright
electrical engineer / physicist with a master's?) I can't really
invest in much new hardware to bring along.  Besides, I have tried
to live by the philosophy of mastering the gear that I have before
I pick up more.  I've currently got an OM-1n (with the MD cover!),
SC 50mm/1.4, and an MC 28mm/2.8, and I'll soon have an affordable
(but non-OM) flash thanks to our very own Brian Huber.

The one thing I am thinking about adding is a polarizer to add
saturation and reduce reflections on shots over water.

My question is: is the 28mm wide enough to vignette with an ordinary
tiffen or hoya polarizer stuck on it?  Would I be able to mount the
screw-in hood into the polarizer, or would I have to forego the
hood for these shots?  Is there any reason to prefer hoya vs. tiffen
for a single coated polarizer (I shouldn't even spring for the
single coated version, and I definitely can't spring for
the more expensive hoya or b+w multicoated filters)

Anyway, I'm going to be putting a film order in to B&H soon, and
I'll probably throw a polarizer on the order unless it's likely
to cause more problems than it solves.

thanks

joey

ps, hmm, given the apparent rarity of the MD covers, maybe I can
exchange it for the telephoto I'd love to have to round out a basic
lens arsenal...  Anyone have a 100 or 135 / 2.8 they'd trade for it?