Re: [OM] polarizing filters on 28mm lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] polarizing filters on 28mm lenses
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:34:36 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Joey Richards wrote:

> Next month, I'll be taking a spring break trip to Hawaii.  Since
> I'm not likely to get down there again any time soon, I'm going
> to want to take a lot of pictures, and I want them to come out
> well.  :-)

  This means that before you go, you should run at least one
test roll, using the exact equipment you will take to make 100%
certain everything is in working order.

> to live by the philosophy of mastering the gear that I have before
> I pick up more.

  An excellent philosophy.

>  I've currently got an OM-1n (with the MD cover!),
> SC 50mm/1.4, and an MC 28mm/2.8, and I'll soon have an affordable
> (but non-OM) flash thanks to our very own Brian Huber.

  National Geographic articles have been published using less of
a focal range.

> The one thing I am thinking about adding is a polarizer to add
> saturation and reduce reflections on shots over water.
> My question is: is the 28mm wide enough to vignette with an ordinary
> tiffen or hoya polarizer stuck on it?

  I use the thin Hoyas. Hmmm.

>  Would I be able to mount the
> screw-in hood into the polarizer, or would I have to forego the
> hood for these shots?  Is there any reason to prefer hoya vs. tiffen
> for a single coated polarizer (I shouldn't even spring for the
> single coated version, and I definitely can't spring for
> the more expensive hoya or b+w multicoated filters)

  My advice is: Even if you can't use the polarizer on the 28, the ability
to use it on the 50 will be a major asset to your kit. It might work
without any problem. TEST it on the 28, with and without shade before
going. Keep careful notes so you know which shot was w/polarizer &
which w/pola & shade.
                                   *= Doris Fang =*

Ps. What will you be taking for a back-up ?