RE: [OM] 310 Flash questions...

Subject: RE: [OM] 310 Flash questions...
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:12:37 -0500
Mike,
310 Flash is perfect with the OM-2.  That's the body it was designed for.
You also need a Shoe 2 for the OM-2.
The 310 will not work TTL with the other OM bodies, including the OM-2n.
2n and up use T-series flash units.
The 310 can work non-TTL with any camera that has a standard hot shoe.  This
can be full power, half power or one of 3 (I think) aperture settings.  The
310 will cover a 24mm lens.

With the Bounce Grip, the 310 makes a nice handle grip unit.  Batteries
(alkaline only, no NiCad) in handle, 6 C cells, also work in conjunction
with the 4 AA's in the 310.
Bounce Grip should also include the camera bracket, although the Bounce Grip
2 bracket will work.  In the bottom of the bracket is a standard PC cord.

There is an optional Remote Sensor that can be attached to the 310 cord
socket.  This will allow 3 apertures to be set.  This works like the Vivitar
Remote Sensor for the 283.

If you do decide to buy the 310 and want the remote sensor, let me know.  I
sold my idiot brother my OM-2 and 310 a year ago and all he wanted was the
310, not the grip, bracket or Remote Sensor.  I've since bought the grip
portion of a BG2 and use the bracket of the grip section.  Not a perfect
fit, but for $25 for the BG2 grip, I've got no complaints.

I've seen prices for 310 ~$45-60, I'd figure on ~$50 for Grip and bracket.

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

The first question is easy, what is (US) fair market value for one with
a flash grip and TTL cable?

Is this still a viable flash for use with an OM2, etc.? What are the
pitfalls and trade-offs?

Reason I ask is I was visiting a local repair shop to have my recently
aquired Tamron 70-350 checked out (which apparently is in better shape
and a much better "bargain" than I thought but I still need to test the
thing). He has a 310 with grip for sale and it looks like he'll let it
go cheap. (The same can't be said for the _new_ condition OM2S which he
wants almost double what I paid for mine new in '86...)

I don't use flash much, mostly for indoor displays or dark days in the
paddock. Should I look into this thing or hold out for a T32 and grip
II? Just wondering... TIA for comments and advice.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com