Re: [OM] bounce grip 2 question

Subject: Re: [OM] bounce grip 2 question
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:30:54 -0600
At 01:04 PM 2/22/2000 EST, P.J. you wrote:
>I need a little expert advice on a BG2:

I'm not an expert, but I play one around my house. ;-)

>Someone offered me the BG2 in user condition ("paint worn off some edges")
>for $70.  They also said the " 1" x 1.5" plastic cover on the underside of
>the shoe on front (no effect on function)" is missing.  I've looked at some
>photos on the web, but I cannot figure out what this cover is.

I believe it is actually the little aluminum plate that says "Olympus
Bounce Grip 2" on it or some such thing.  Removed, you can get at the three
wires that connect the battery power in the BG2 to the flash.  It's not
essential, just an indicator of the user status of the BG2 that it is missing.

>So here are the questions:
>Is this a good price?
>Does the "plastic cover" (whatever it is) really not make a difference?

I think I may have answered the second question.  I think that's a not
unfair price for a BG2 in the described condition.

>Is there anything else I need to know about this item, i.e. are there $200
>cords that may be missing?

It comes with only one cord -- a PC cord tucked adroitly into a channel in
the base plate.  Since purchasing my own user BG2 I've spent dough on 3 TTL
cords, TTL multi connector, and a TTL auto connector T20.  Yup, I'd say
it's approaching $200.  You don't need all of those things by any means,
but you need at least one, and it sounds like you might need two (or
three!), for TTL.

PC cord won't give you TTL flash. 2(x) and 4(x) present different
requirements for TTL connections. The 4's can make do with any TTL cord
made by Olympus with the female socket connector on each end.  The 2 and 2N
require Type 3 and Type 4 TTL cords, respectively.

Oh yes, if you use a winder, you'll need an M.Grip cord or the homemade
equivalent thereof.

Is it worth it? IMHO the T series flashes really come into their own with
the addition of the BG2.  I had my doubts about going this way when I was
struggling to find the right cords and connectors, but I really like the
results.  I've set up a separate bag for just BG2 and attached winder and
body, T flashes, and cords.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA