[OM] Colour improvement suggestion using Device Profiles -Reply

Subject: [OM] Colour improvement suggestion using Device Profiles -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:33:42 -0500
In my experience, ICC profiles are only slightly better than the PS "Auto
Levels" command. The only thing that has ever worked for me is by-the-numbers
correction in CMYK mode and test prints form the actual output device. This is
the method that every 4 color offset press shop uses. ICC profiles are yet
another attempt to beat human experience and judgement with software automation.
The worst messed up scans I've had to work with are the ones with a profile
attached. Fortunately, you can set PS to ignore or at least warn you about
attached profiles. Unfortunately, this is not the default setting. Now, just
don't get me started on sRGB and the way Adobe Blythly switched around the
workflow when they went from PS 4 to PS 5.

>>I'd like to suggest that people who make software to run scanners
consider using ICC profiles to maximize the quality of their scans.>>