Re: [OM] suggestion for copyright(?) notice

Subject: Re: [OM] suggestion for copyright(?) notice
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:38:17 -0500
Joey Richards said:
alt-numeric keypad for entry of ascii (or other charset) characters
is a holdover from the DOS days... PCs have always done that as far
as I know (which started with the IBM PC 8088, don't know about before
that)
The alt-numeric keypad entry of "extended ASCII" (ALT+128 thru 255) is a
function of the IBM PC's keyboard BIOS and has been there since the very
first PC in 1981.  Since it's a part of the BIOS it occurs below the
operating system, at least for DOS.  Your actual mileage will vary since
later operating systems such as Windows and OS/2 (and I assume Linux)
will subvert the BIOS functions and introduce their own low level
keyboard support and their own mapping to graphic characters.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA