Re: [OM] ???

Subject: Re: [OM] ???
From: "John W. Sloane, DMD" <jsloane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:38:10 -0500
Hi, Erin

I have an OM-1 and an OM-1N and I have had these bodies for many years.  I
bought a Vivitar 283 when I got my first OM-1 in 1977.  Since then I have
acquired most of the other single digit (1, 1N, 2, 2N, 2S, 4, 4T, 4Ti) OM
bodies that Olympus produced, and for those bodies the T-32 or F-280 Oly
Flashes are the ticket.  On my 1's, though, I have never experienced the
ease of use for manual flash, as well as great versatility in preset film
speed/f-numbers (making it virtually an auto-flash system).  You don't have
to calculate every shot based on distance.  All you need do is set the ASA
dial on the flash for your film speed and set the flash sensor to an f-
number you want to use.  Set that same aperture on the lens and you are off
and running for auto flash at any distance.  If you change your aperture
because you want a greater or lesser DOF, (depth of field) just change it on
lthe flash sensor to the corresponding "color code" and once again you're
set.  There are still lots of available accessories like filters and flash
lenses, as well as a power module that really lets you have full manual
control.  I don't remember the GN (guide number) but it's quite a powerful
flash, and I have always liked the color temperature/rendition as well.
These 283's are still readily available in camera shops, new or used, and,
of course, on eBay.  You will also need a Shoe 1 (provided your Body is -1
and not -1N---the OM-1N uses Shoe 4).  This shoe is also known as the "FIX"
Shoe, because it says "FIX" on it with an arrow to show the direction you
rotate the knob to fasten it to the camera.
Hope this helps.
John