[OM] Dumb question from new oly-listee

Subject: [OM] Dumb question from new oly-listee
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 22:12:17 -0000
Something I've never known - how is "Zuiko" pronounced? (Apart from in
hushed
and respectful tones, of course)

I've never learnt Japanese, so can't get clues from there. I usually rhyme
it with "psycho", but with a soft z, and people seem to understand. But
trying to work it out is impossible.

The "-ko" bit is fairly straightforward, then the fun starts. The "ui" is
often "wee", but not always (how about "suit") and  I think in
Holland/Belgium it is "ow" ("uit" = out, "huis" = house). In Europe the Z is
a speaker's nightmare. It starts in the west (Spain/Portugal) almost as a
soft "th". In France and Britain is is usually like a soft "s", as in
"praise"  but sometimes as in the middle of "treasure", seems appropriate.
In Germany it becomes  "ts", as it does in Italy when there are 2 of them
(think "pizza"). And by the time we get further east all sorts of strange
things happen - it gets accents put on top of it, it gets combined with "r"s
and "g"s to make consonants that only native speakers can ever pronounce,
and so on.

Yours, baffled,
John