[OM] Cheap Trix and other stuff

Subject: [OM] Cheap Trix and other stuff
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:20:09 PST
Hi all,

I'm currently lurking the list by downloading the archived versions, so eventually I do read the on-list posts. So, feel free to simply reply to the list to any of the stuff in this message if so desired:

O.k., first off, in the line of cheap tricks, and poor man's approaches to studio set-ups: today I picked up several rolls of gift wrapping paper which I intend to use as backdrops for my soon-to-be-realised little home studio. The paper came in three different variants; 1 has yellowish-tiger print on it (i.e. just like a real tiger), another one has a white-ish kinda tiger-like print on it (with with black specks) and the last one has a zebra pattern. Each roll measures 200x70 CM, and buying two rolls of each of them only set me back for $5.

Of course I don't expect you to find the very same type of rolls of paper, but as a general concept it should be a really cheap way to get virtually any backdrop (in this case very "wild" ones, which I intend to be using only a few times) you want. I hope the reflectance of the paper will not be too high, but as an alternative, decorative coloured (very thin) cardboard or wallpaper could serve the same purpose...

Then, to continue along the "el cheapo" line of thought: I'm a bit p/o-ed with Olympus for the way they made their TTL T AutoCords. Each of these bl**dy things sets you back at least some $30 and for what? A piece of 5-threaded electrical wire and two plugs... Now of course I already didn't expect anything but the plugs to be an "Olympus special" (i.e. not available in any electronics store) and it _seems_ I was right. :(((

Nonetheless, one of the salesmen in one of the electronics shops seemed to recall having seen the very same type of connectors being used in switching boards in telephone centrals. This sounds highly interesting, because that might mean that we don't necessarily have to stick with the highly expensive Oly-plastic! Also, a few weeks ago I stumbled upon a camera store that sells off-brand TTL AutoCords. I was inquiring over the telephone, so I've no idea what the cords (and more interestingly: the plugs) look like though, so maybe I'll buy a few of these cables. They're 4m long, and cost some $20 a piece. Not too bad!

Still, if someone has made some of these cables themself, please inform me (and the list) about it, as that could be a very interesting way for saving some dollars (esp. since I'll be needing some 3 or so of the 5m cables)...

I have received some more feedback about this topic, and it seems everybody is happy with the title "The Olympus Phote Exhibition", or otherwise they didn't spoke up when they had the chance to do so, and hence have voided their democratic right to have the title changed to something else, hah! :)

So, "The Olympus Phote Exhibition" it is, and shooting will be open until March 6th. One (for me) slightly unfortunate event though, was that Philip started the "mirrored self-portraits thread" a few days after I took my picture doing just that! I might try to get creative and think of another original way of doing a self-portrait, but time is currently not on my side, so I may have to take a raincheck on that one. We'll see...

Finally, I too enjoyed the posts regarding the case up for auction on eBay at $202 (at least, that's what it was the last time I d/l-ed an archive). It made me think of the cardboard box for the 100-200/5 that sold for well over $100 a few months ago...:)

Actually George: could you do us all a favour and post the link to your eBay auction on the list after you've acquired one of those cases, marred up the price, and put it on eBay? (HAHAHA, sorry, couldn't resist that one...;) )

Good, that seems to be all for now...

Cheers!
Olafo