[OM] Re: Adorama Purchase Experience

Subject: [OM] Re: Adorama Purchase Experience
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:25:03 -0500
At 10:38 AM -0800 2/25/00, Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx wrote:

I figured more than one of the list would probably be interested in hearing
this, so I decided to post this message:

I recently purchased a lens from Adorama (not yet received).  Stating that I
had seen the lens on their website, I asked the salesman if the item was
still available.  When he said it was available, I said I wanted it.  Then he
asks ME what the price was!  Sensing an opportunity, I said I didn't have the
price in front of me and asked what he had.  Well, he quoted a higher price
than the website, and I quickly chimed in with the web price.  He didn't
hesitate to accept the price I said, and I wonder if I could have given him
any reasonable price and he would have accepted it.  I'm thinking about
calling and seeing they will sell the 250/2 for a few hundred dollars and
then saying I must have misread the website if I am corrected.

Seriously, is this common practice among mail order companies?  Can prices be
negotiated at large companies like Adorama, where the salespeople obviously
only take orders?

Nuh-uh. The web price is pretty much the bottom, and the salesmen do in
fact have the list on their screens. Or at least that was my
experience when I went there in person. An item for which I didn't have
the web numbers turned out to be about $30 higher ($135 vs $105) than
the web price when I got home and checked it. (And the item for which the
quote was only $1 more than the web price turned out to be lost in the
store-room.

It's possible there's some negotiating room on the web prices as well,
but no steals...

paul

ps I gazed longingly at the 250/2 lying in the bottom of the display case,
but no way...

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx