Re: [OM] Re: macro posts please / 1-11/12 screens

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: macro posts please / 1-11/12 screens
From: Frank van Lindert <franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 14:18:02 +0100
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:59:03 -0700, Wm Biesele <wbiesele@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Following the Olympus doc's and the list's recommendation I have obtained a
>1-11 and a 1-12
>screens for macro work. The Oly instructions say to focus the varimagni on the
>screen and then
>'bring the specimen(spaceman) into focus'. What do the paired tic lines on the
>screen do? What is
>the in focus/out of focus indication, particularly with the 1-12?
>
>TIA
>
>Bill B.

Bill,

Macro work asks for some special precautions (due to the small depth
of field). Adapting camera and varimagnifier to your eyesight is
therefore important.

You will first have to focus your camera viewfinder (if it has the
built-in diopter like the OM-4 has). You do so by removing the lens
and turn the diopter wheel until the focusing aids in the focusing
screen are sharp. This is a general procedure, BTW, not special for
macro. But it has to be done first...

After that, when using the Varimagnifier, you will have to adapt that
to your eyesight too. Do it in the same way, preferably with the 1-12
screen installed. When you can clearly distinguish both lines of the
cross hair pairs on the screen, you are perfectly set.

Now you can mount the lens and start composing your image, and focus
on your subject in the normal way. In case of the clear 1-12
(specially designed for use with the 38 and 20 mm macro lenses, and
for photomicrography) you will have an airial image only to focus -
which even more demands that the procedure described above has been
carried out.

Good luck, Frank.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.