Re: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter

Subject: Re: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 09:06:52 -0800
From: Robinsnes@xxxxxxx

I find the Benbo indispensable. It always, by the way, is mated
to a Bogan joystick

I'll second that combo! Someone once described using the Benbo as being like "wrestling with bagpipes," but once you get the hang of it, it's great -- especially for low-level work and macro.

The Bogen "joystick" (3265, I think) is great for routine use with a variety of lenses. I switch to their mini-gear head (Manfrotto 410) for both macro and long telephoto.

    An old Luna-Pro or quantum meter is adequate.

"Adequate" is an understatement here!

I have a Luna-Pro that was already old when I bought it used in high-school, nearly 30 years ago. It's on its second battery! For its price and battery consumption, the Luna-Pro beats modern gee-whiz meters, IMHO.

Because it has a circular slide rule calculator, you learn a lot more about the inter-relation of EV, film speed, shutter speed, and f-stop than you do with a modern meter that digitally flashes numbers at you.

Best place to get one is a swap-meet. Stores are starting to call them "collectible" and jack up the prices. You should find a beater for under $50 or a nice one with case for over $75. I know the prices, cause I recently thought about selling mine, but then thought better of it!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>