[OM] Benbo tripods (was Whippersnapper needs legs...)

Subject: [OM] Benbo tripods (was Whippersnapper needs legs...)
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 17:41:31 -0000
Ilona Lemieux wrote:
"...I think  the concept is brilliant, but the execution
questionable.   Looks like something cobbled together in a garage.  First
of all, the tripods are HEAVY, apparently due to the use of some cheap,
easily cast lead alloy.  Those "large fastening knobs" are made of cheap
looking plastic (looks like nylon!) - probably an attempt to offset the
weight.  Because of the 2-section legs, the tripod is quite long when
collapsed,  the middle post does not easily fit  between the legs when
storing, and the angle of spread between the two similar legs seems to be
inadequate (this is not apparent from the brochures), which leads to a
pretty narrow footprint."

I won a Benbo Trekker in an "Amateur Photographer" competition about 14
months ago and it required quite a bit of practice *without* a camera for me
to get the hang of it before I felt confident enough to put an OM on it (it
can collapse very suddenly if the U-bolt isn't secured!).
The "plastic" fittings are clearly much stronger than they look and allow
for really tight and secure fixing. I agree that to close it up for carrying
requires a bit of twisting and fiddling but it's no heavier when carried
than any other
tripod that I have that's equally sturdy.
The leg spread can have any footprint you like. While not exactly all equal
at 120 degrees all round, can splay all the way out from vertical to flat to
the ground and at any angle in between, with any leg completely 'out of
whack' with any other. I agree with Giles' separate posting on the Benbo.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx
http://homepages.which.net/~k.berry