[OM] . . . on benbomentia, olymphoma, et al

Subject: [OM] . . . on benbomentia, olymphoma, et al
From: Ilona Lemieux <lmx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:50:52 -0500
Oh, the perils of navigating the seas of fan clubs!  Beware the bite of the
blasphemed!  The tangled psychology of this is fascinating!   Yes, I´m
delusional, though I DO have my name sorted out.  I see benbo fans, and
really any sort of fans as a kind of brotherhood of the deluded cause I´m
"one of those" too.

after all, were all OM fans here, right? We could try to defend our
enthusiasm on technical grounds(what a feat!) or we can realise that its
not the point at all.  I have two 4T´s and eight zuikos, two XA´s, and a
mju-II(think its called a stylus epic in the states) all aquired over the
span of 12 or so years, and all acquired without the influence of a fan
club or group - just my private madness.

when I try to examine what it is that drives me to this stuff, I really
can´t say.  I usually end up feebly pleading their prettiness as the
ground.  I have also a Nikon FM2 and a pair of nikkors, which give super
results, and are well thought out, reliable and practical but I simply
don´t enjoy using as much as the OM´s. It´s obvious that I´m infected with
the "olympus mystique" and I´m beyond help. None of my photo friends uses
OM equip & they just think I´m wierd.  So my familiarity with this disease
makes me feel qualified to accurately sense its prevalence among the benbo
crowd.

I was on the brink of succumbing to benbomentia myself when I encountered
one when I was still strong(that is, I didnt pay for one yet) so I thought
I would do a favor to others in a similarly precarious position, by telling
the tale of the red flags I have seen,while I was still capable of seeing
them.  preaching to the unconverted - not chastising the converted!!

In the end, I can say: I´m married to oly, tend to see them in the best
light, and gladly live with the problems.  If someone were to rattle off a
list to ME of all the reasons one shouldn´t use OM, it simply wouldn´t
register.  And it bothers me not, because I know its not the specs that
fuel my enthusiasm.