Re: [OM] Repair Service woes - please advise

Subject: Re: [OM] Repair Service woes - please advise
From: John Levin <jlevin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 22:30:39 -0500
This episode reminds me of a recent visit to an out of town camera store I drop into when I'm there. A few months ago, they had very little, but had a decent looking 28/2.0 that they wanted $300 for. Ok.... when I tried the aperture lever, it didn't stop down (the linkage was broken somehow)...so I passed on it (they also tried to sell me a Vivitar 300mm telephoto with an advanced case of fungus for $100...when I pointed out the problem, they muttered 'that's why it's only $100...')

Last week, I dropped by again and they had the _exact_ same 28/2.0, this time with a very stiff aperture ring, but the linkage had been fixed. I looked closer and there was a ding on one of the inside elements which I pointed out. They were asking $380 this time. The guy gave me a martyred look and peered at it in dismay.
My conclusion: There is justice, sometimes.
(No, I didn't buy it.)