Re: [OM] flash problem on 4T..need advice -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] flash problem on 4T..need advice -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:28:45 -0500
No, it doesn't hurt to ask. I recently bought an RD for $110 off eBay and it
turned out to have an oily shutter. The seller agreed to refund $50 toward
John's standard CLA of $95. So, when I get the camera back from Camtech, I
should have a nicely refurbished RD for $155. The seller was quite happy to get
$60 for a camera that doesn't work. I also have the refund check in front of me
right now from an RC a bought that turned out to have a bashed in corner.
Everybody's happy. Everybody gets positive feedback.

>>> <Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 02/29/00 07:51am >>>

Let's see, seller says "Used! No Warranty. Wear & Tear.  Shutter fine, meter
fine.  Should have CLA."
Also starting bid of $110 with no reserve.

But it turns out the flash doesn't fire...

My opinion: $292 plus the cost of a CLA (which will probably get the flash
fixed) sounds like a good value.  My reasoning, bargain grade 4t's (in need of a
CLA) go for $400 to $500.  Further everything the seller stated as working,
works.  The camera is usable, just not with flash and the text contained ample
reason for caution, and to expect that it would need work.  Then again, my
thinking is probably being influenced by purchasing my OM-4 for $300 and then
finding out that the flash didn't work... a 4T sounds like a better deal (John H
mended it for me)
But if you're disappointed do contact them and see if you can work something
out.  In particular have in mind what you want from them.  To return the camera
for your money back less shipping charges? Something back towards fixing the
flash when you get the CLA?  Personally, I'd expect them to decline politely but
it doesn't hurt to ask (again politely).

Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx writes:
   >>I received a 4T in the mail that I purchased on Ebay.  I cannot seem to get
   flash to fire and need help to know if the hot shoe is bad.
   see item at:
   http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=257337910