[OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q

Subject: [OM] Better Flash recs & handle mounted flash Q
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:05:36 -0600 (CST)
Although I somehow managed to shoot my first 20 years without owning
a flash, I've come to understand a lot more about flash in the past
several months than I ever thought possible (and have realized how
much more there is to learn than I thought was possible).

One of the things I've learned is that I need another flash unit. My
F280, 433D, and 283 all have their pluses, but I'd sure like to have
a "shoot Velvia at f/16 at 30 ft in a coal mine" flash.

I'd like to find a flash that

1) Has a GN of 45+
2) Has a decent recycle time with (AA, C, whatever) batteries
3) Is still manageably lightweight
4) is adaptable enough to work hand held, stroboframe mounted,or with
dedicated mounts.
5) Has TTL available for Olympus  (optional, but highly desireable)
6) Has several auto modes and adjustable output
7) Has super FP capabilities (I know, but I can fantasize,can't I?)
8) Is relatively affordable, with accessories, adaptors, and cords
reasonably available

Any suggestions?

Also - If I mount a handle mounted flash on a stroboframe (Press-T),
and I doomed to always have the flash head at a 90 degree angle to
the camera? How much should I be concernedabout this at normal
(28-100) focal lengths?

BBB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel