Re: [OM] ball or pan?

Subject: Re: [OM] ball or pan?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:37:06 -0600
At 08:09 AM 2/29/2000 -0800, Jan wrote in part:
>1) If you know you'll often want to do movement in one axis while the
>other two are locked down, get a tilt/pan head.
>
>2) If you know #1, but will have to do it in fine movements, get a gear head.
>
>3) If you don't know either of the above, get a ball-head, preferably
>one with a separately adjustable pan, since that is the most-often
>used case for #1.
>
>: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I think this is really good advice -- well formulated. I have both types
and use them both.  When I'm fussy about lines, horizons, etc., the tilt
pan head is the better for me.  When I want speed, the Bogen grip ball head
is very good.

My tilt-pan head is the Bogen 3030. An advantage of this head is that the
QR plates are small enough that you can keep one on the camera all the
time, even when mounting a lens with a tripod mount.  This is a time saver,
especially considering that in some situations the 35-105 and 85-250 are
the lenses I switch between continually.  This situation almost dictates
the 3030 since what's the point of QR plates if you have to remove them
when changing lenses?

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA